Whether you are in need of a specific dental treatment or searching for a new clinic to enhance your smile, it is crucial to understand whether a general dentist or a cosmetic dentist will be the right dental professional for the required services. While both types of dentists hold a doctor of medicine in dentistry degree, they specialise in different sections of dentistry. Patients may examine the following factors if they are unsure which practitioner to see.
- The goal of your treatment
Before selecting a type of dental treatment provider to address your condition, you need to consider the goal of the dental work. There can be two cases- either you want to prevent or treat your dental health issues or enhance your smile.
- Prevent or address your dental health issues
Patients who require preventing or treating dental health issues should visit a general dentist. As per research, people find themselves being more comfortable when procedures are done by professionals they already have an established relationship with. Additionally, connecting with a general dentist is a better fit if you do not require any specific treatment and are only looking for a provider who can perform examinations or routine cleanings.
- Get an attractive smile
Although cosmetic dentists have adequate knowledge and experience in general dental health, they are dental professionals who specialise in treatments concerned with mouth aesthetics. So if your primary goal is to achieve straighter and whiter teeth and an overall beautiful smile, you must connect with the best cosmetic dentist in India.
- What services do you require?
Often, there has been an overlap between the treatments that a general dentist can perform and those that a cosmetic dentist can provide. Some patients may enquire about a certain service with their regular provider, only to learn that it is not provided by the general dentist.
A general dentist is primarily concerned with oral health treatments and preventive care. These treatments may include treatment of cavities, addressing chipped teeth, and performing root canals.
However, the best cosmetic dental surgeon in India offers a wider array of aesthetic-focussed treatments that are used to transform a person’s smile. These include-
- Crowns- Crowns are caps that cover a tooth or an implant to restore function and make it more appealing. They are often composed of porcelain.
- Veneers: These are thin shells of porcelain or composite resin that are placed on the outside of a tooth to hide flaws and improve form and shade.
- Bonding: A process in which tooth-coloured resin is used to repair chips, contour the tooth, or cover gaps between the teeth.
- Inlays and Onlays- These refer to restorative treatments which are used instead of fillings to hide cavities and preserve tooth structure.
- Teeth whitening: This procedure is used to brighten the shades of teeth and remove stains if any.
- Teeth shaping- teeth shaping refers to the procedure where parts of the tooth’s enamel are removed to make its shape more desirable.
- Gum Contouring- This is a procedure that is used for people with a gummy smile. It helps shorten and contour the gum, enhancing the smile.
Anyone who requires dental work to be performed on their teeth must be aware of the types of dental professionals available. While general dentists provide a wide range of services and are adept at dealing with oral health issues, a cosmetic dentist is the best choice for improving the mouth’s overall appearance.
Whether you require a general dental treatment or a specific one for cosmetic dentistry treatments, we at Dr Kathuria’s Dentistry can assist you with all you need. To learn more about our services and treatment options, call us toll-free at 1800-11-7272 or fill out our contact form.