Dental implants are metal frames that are surgically placed by the implantologist in the jawbone to fill the gap caused by the missing teeth. These metal posts or frames are designed to fit perfectly so as to restore your chewing or speaking capability. Over a time period these metal frames begin to act like your natural teeth roots. Made from titanium these metal anchors provide extra support to over-dentures.
Dental implants or implant supported over-dentures are easy to manage as they don’t slip while chewing or speaking. False teeth like bridges, crowns, and removable over-denture are less stable and comfortable as compared to implant over-denture.
Dental implants: Types of Over-denture
There are two types of over-denture:
- Gum Supported or Implant Retained Over-denture: these over-dentures are designed to rests on gums. Such dentures come with retentive attachments that help them to stay put over the dental implants.
- Implant Supported Over-denture: these over-dentures are implanted on the jaws forever and can only removed clinically. Such implant over-denture comes in one-piece where the bar and over-denture are fixed permanently into the jaws using titanium screws.
Advantages of Dental Implants or Implant Supported Dentures
- More Stable and Comfortable: Unlike bridges and crowns, implant supported over-dentures provide more stability and comfort as they are supported by dental implants that are surgically placed in the jawbone.
- Provides Stimulation to Jawbone: Dental implants replace the natural teeth roots by filling the gap due to missing teeth. Like natural teeth roots they also provide stimulation to the jawbone. Hence preventing resorption of jawbone.
- Improves Chewing and Speaking Capability: Since, dental implants are fixed they retain implant over-denture at one place. Thus helping you to chew and speak properly.
- Retains Facial Structure: By providing stimulation to the jawbone, dental implants also contribute in retaining the facial structure by preventing sagging and premature ageing.
- Cleaning is Easy: Dental implants also improve oral health as they are easy to clean. All you need to do is to treat them like natural teeth and brush and floss them regularly.
- Saves You from Embarrassment: Removable over-dentures tend to slip while chewing or speaking thus causing you to feel embarrassed in front of others. But with implant over-dentures you can chew or speak smoothly as they don’t slip. They give an amazing makeover to your smile thus saving you from embarrassment.